Engaging Delawareans with their healthcare
It is often said that information is power, and that has never been truer for patients who want access to their medical records for their health care providers and for themselves.
DHIN helps bring patients and doctors closer together. DHIN helps patients take a more active role in managing their own health care. Developed in partnerships with area hospitals, doctors, labs, radiology facilities and consumers like you, DHIN is a safe way to provide health information to your doctor– giving medical providers the results and reports they need, quickly and securely, in order to provide you with the best possible care.
Today, some doctors still get medical records, lab results and x-ray reports from many different places and in many different ways: by fax, mail, courier and interoffice mail. Papers can be misplaced. Or sometimes they are sent to the wrong office. This makes it hard for your doctor to get your results when he or she needs them.
DHIN is good for you and your doctor. Here’s why:
- DHIN Saves Time. Your doctor gets your results as soon as they’re ready. This means you can be treated more quickly. There’s also less chance your results will become misplaced or lost—eliminating the need to get duplicative tests.
- DHIN Improves Care. Your test results and reports go directly to your doctor in a single, standard format. This means there is less chance for errors to be made in your treatment.
- DHIN Reduces Cost. With fewer errors, your out-of-pocket costs are lower. This means less expense to you for unneeded medications, lab and radiology tests, and hospitalizations.
- DHIN Enhances Privacy. Only your doctor, and those people you and your doctor involve in your care, can see your information. DHIN makes health information more secure than ever.
FYI or TMI? Your Info on DHIN
An important part of engaging Delawareans with their healthcare includes providing access to their information as it appears on the network and doing so in a safe and secure manner. DHIN will provide a copy of a requesting person’s medical result(s)/health record, as the information currently appears on the network, within 10 business days of receiving the request. Requests may be made by mail or in person at DHIN’s office of operation.
Another advantage Delawareans enjoy with DHIN is that they can “audit” their account to see which medical professionals have accessed their information on the network. This functionality provides an extra layer of assurance and safety that the information on the network is only being accessed by medical professionals who are appropriately engaged in providing your care.
If you are interested in seeing your records in DHIN, or in auditing access to your network information, please complete the form “My DHIN Health Records” and submit this request via mail to DHIN offices at:
Delaware Health Information Network
107 Wolf Creek Boulevard, Suite 2
Dover, DE 19901
Requests must be made in person or by mail in order to protect the safety and security of your personal health information. Requests must include notarized validation of the identity of the person making the request (with a raised notary seal) and corresponding copies of identification including at least one copy of state or government issued identification. For your convenience, DHIN offers notary services for those people making their request in-person at our offices.
Upon review of your materials, if you are unsure about the nature of a result displayed in your record (accuracy or validity of results) or have questions about who has accessed your account, please contact DHIN via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling during normal business hours at (302) 678-0220. Please note the nature of your issue (Information or Access Inquiry), and the best way for us to contact you in your message.
- My DHIN Health Records Form
- Non-Participation Form & Cover Letter
- Cancellation (Opt-In) Form & Cover Letter
DHIN Privacy & Security Policies
All of the information that passes through DHIN is password-protected and encrypted at its source, using state-of-the-art tools to protect the transmission and security of the data. Access to the network is monitored and restricted to only those qualified medical professionals who have demonstrated a need-to-know for the requested information. The below documents outline all privacy and security policies that DHIN requires its users to follow.
- DHIN Regulations on Participation
- DHIN Data Use Agreement
- DHIN Individually Identifiable Health Information
Please continue to browse our website to learn more about DHIN. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us during regular business hours at (302) 678-0220 or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.